Winterfest is Camden’s annual celebration of winter and community. A week full of fun activities in Camden’s Harbor Park includes ice sculptures, sledding, and rail jam expositions. The Camden Public Library is also the site for live music, arts and crafts, and food sampling from local restaurants. Plus legendary snow sculptors will be creating huge masterpieces throughout the downtown. The full schedule is below:
Friday, January 31, 2014
Professional Snow Sculptors arrive in Camden and begin planning their snow masterpieces with snow delivered to various sites around town by The Camden Snow Bowl.
Watch these giant snow sculptures all weekend at these locations:
Camden Village Green
Library front lawn
Camden Snow Bowl
Saturday, February 1
Camden Public Library activities all day in Harbor Park and inside the library: ice sculpting, live music, sledding, hot soups and light snacks from local restaurants, face painting, and arts and crafts.
Merryspring Winter Ecology Fair
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
– Central Maine Astronomical Society uses solar scopes to track and observe the winter sun, outdoors behind the Ross Center.
– Family snowshoe hikes led by Merryspring volunteers depart from the Ross Center.
– Winter nature crafts and other children’s activities inside the Ross Center.
11:00 AM – 11:30 AM
– Dave Smith of Sparky’s Honey and Maple in Hope demonstrates how tapping sugar maple trees is done for collecting sap in front of the Ross Center.
11:30 AM – 12:00 PM
– Maine Master Naturalist Volunteer Deb Smith presents on observing and identifying winter plants. Starting in the Ross Center, the program will head outside to locate and identify specimens.
– noon-4pm, Harbor Park: Camden Parks & Rec Department will host “CamJam” activities in Harbor Park. Rails will be installed in Harbor Park for skiers and snowboarders to try out the downtown slope
Sunday, February 2
CamJam – 1:00pm, Harbor Park: Trick skiing and snowboarding competition sponsored by the Camden Snow Bowl. Finals to be held at the Snow Bowl on Friday, February 7.
Family snow games will be held along with the Cam Jam competition — For kids of all ages:
Tic-Tac-Snow - a giant tic-tac-toe board is drawn in the snow with colored water; Snowman Hat Trick - kids toss a hat to try to have it land on the Snowman’s head; and the Frosty Toss - a ball is tossed toward a large target drawn in the snow. Warm refreshments will be provided by the 8th grade Japan exchange program.
Friday, February 7
US National Toboggan Championships begin, Camden Snow Bowl
“Down the Chute” beer and wine tasting from West Bay Rotary
Other events in the area during Winterfest Week:
Entertainment at the Camden Opera House (Girl on a Bicycle Film – 2/1 at 7pm), at the Rockport Opera House (The Great Cabin Fever Escape featuring The Wiyos – 2/7 at 7:30) and the “Down the Chute” Beer and Wine Tasting at the Camden Snow Bowl (2/7 from 3-7pm). The Banff Film Festival takes place at the Strom Auditorium at Camden Hills Regional High School both Friday and Saturday nights, Feb 7 & 8, at 7pm.
Special thanks to these businesses for providing accommodations and meals for the snow sculptors:
Lord Camden Inn
The Country Inn
Camden Bagel Cafe
Cuzzy’s Restaurant & Tavern
Cappy’s Chowder House